The intention of the Spanish curriculum at St Mary’s is that children are taught to develop an interest in foreign languages in an engaging, stimulating way. We also teach children to celebrate cultural diversity and to become a multi-cultural member of society, where they will be able to foster their curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. Our aim is for children to leave KS2 as someone who can readily express some ideas and feelings in Spanish and to be able to respond and understand both verbal and written communication.
A linguist from St Mary’s will:
- Enjoy learning about the culture in Spain and be able to compare it to everyday life for them.
- Accurately be able to identify the phonic sounds.
- Write simple phrases, joining these together into sentences to express ideas.
- Read and understand a simple text.
- Engage in conversations; ask and answer questions.
- Speak in sentences using familiar Spanish vocabulary.
- Understand basic grammar and the differences between masculine and feminine words and how to apply these in sentences.