At St Mary’s Primary School our intention is to provide an Art curriculum which allows children to explore their imagination, generate ideas, acquire skills, apply judgements and rejoice in their learning. We want the children to develop as critical and creative thinkers and enrich, consolidate learning in a variety of contexts. Through progressive and inspiring planning, we intend to encourage the children to express, explore and celebrate their own ideas as well as those of their peers. We aim to foster originality and creativity using Art.
An Artist at St Mary’s C of E Primary School will:
• Enjoy getting lost in a world of Art, through exploring the work of artists and immersing themselves in their own creations.
• Have pride in their own unique sketchbooks and respect for those of their peers.
• Have knowledge of and be able to reflect upon a diverse range of Artists.
• Use their sketchbooks to demonstrate their knowledge and skills using materials and drawing skills.
• Use their sketchbooks to demonstrate their understanding of colour, pattern, texture, line, form, space and shape.
• Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
• Talk about Art in the ‘real world’ and how it relates to future careers.
• To enjoy Art as a subject and talk about their experiences with positivity.