Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
At St Mary's Primary School we have a commitment to the inclusion of all children in accessing learning. We provide high quality class teaching supported by numerous interventions to enable children to progress effectively and maximise their potential.
As part of the SEND Code of Practice Devon County Council have published the Local Offer which you can view by clicking here.
A copy of the School's SEND policy can be found in the policies section of this website.
SEND Information Report
As one of many Devon Local Authority (LA) maintained school we have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.
All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.
Who are the best people to talk to about my child’s Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND)?
The Class Teacher
• Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) alongside the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo).
• Setting individual targets using a My Plan, and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least termly.
• Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map and in relation to their My Plan.
• Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
• Overseeing support that Teaching Assistants or Intervention Teachers provide for your child
• Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning.
• Providing work /ideas to be used at home to help your child achieve their personalised targets.
The Special Needs/Disability Coordinator (SENDCo) is currently Mrs Rachael O’Dell (email@example.com)
• Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy.
• Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).
• Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school
• Ensuring that you are:
o involved in supporting your child’s learning
o kept informed about the support your child is getting
o involved in reviewing how they are doing
• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology…
• Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
Miss Naomi Tottle (Ntottle@stmarysce.co.uk )
• The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
• The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
• The Headteacher must make sure that the Local Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.