Design and Technology
At St Mary’s Primary School, we provide a DT curriculum which focuses on developing children’s skills in real life contexts. Using ideas from existing products and experts, children will design and make a range of structures, textiles, mechanisms, electrical systems and food products. Our aim is that children develop as innovative and critical thinkers, creating purposeful and functional products which they take pride in. Equal weight is placed on the three steps of designing, making and evaluating which are based on developing and furthering their technical knowledge understanding.
A technology designer from St. Mary’s Primary School will:
- Enjoy the process of exploring, designing and creating products.
- Develop understanding of existing products.
- Communicate their ideas through clear plans.
- Choose and use appropriate tools, equipment and techniques.
- Demonstrate and apply understanding of responsible and safe use of equipment.
- Positively identify the strengths in their own products and those of others.
- Critically evaluate products, identifying steps required for improvement.
- Apply technical knowledge to build and to improve products.
- Be able to prepare a number of dishes, safely using tools and techniques.
- Understand and apply the principles of a healthy and varied diet.
- Talk about ‘DT’ in the real world and how it relates to careers and life skills.
- Show enthusiasm for their DT learning and experiences.