We have high expectations for writing at St Mary’s Primary School and our teaching focuses on developing pupils’ competence in writing spelling, we aim to develop children’s ability to produce well-structured, detailed writing in which the meaning is made clear and which engages the interest of the audience / reader. Particular attention is paid throughout the school to the formal structures of English: grammatical detail, punctuation and spelling. Teachers clearly model writing skills and document the learning journey through consistent working walls. Shared and practise writing sessions are used to target specific needs of both groups and individuals. Children have opportunities to write at length, in extended, independent writing sessions at the end of a unit of work – applying their taught skills to an unsupported piece of writing. We strive for all pupils to be able to write confidently and have developed a love of writing.
A writer from St Mary’s C of E School will
- Have a love for writing, and write for enjoyment as well as for a range of specific purposes
- See themselves as real writers and value the final outcome.
- Take ownership of their writing, through proofreading, editing and making suggestions as to how to improve work
- See writing as an interesting and enjoyable process
- Acquire the ability to organise and plan their written work
- To apply the spelling, grammar and punctuation rules and skills acquired in order to produce written work in all areas of the curriculum to a high standard.